Ten things you probably didn’t know about Mercedes
Mercedes – a brand synonymous with class, luxury and darned fine engines as the current Formula One incarnation is demonstrating. There’s no doubting a Mercedes claim as something of a status symbol. Here are a few things you probably didn’t know about the heralded German car maker…
1. The first petrol Mercedes vehicle was made by Karl Benz, the co-founder of Mercedes-Benz. His fiancée, Bertha, was forced to invest in the project due to German marriage laws.
2. Back in 2005, the automaker released 3 models of bicycles: the Mercedes-Benz Carbon Bike, The Fitness Bike, and the Trailblazer Bike. In future, Mercedes plans to release more sophisticated bicycles.
3. The Pope travels in a Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV, with added features including an oxygen system and bullet-proof glass. Mercedes has long had a reputation for supplying cars for VIPs with extra exclusive features.
4. Mercedes claimed the 30th place in a Fortune 100 “Best Companies to Work For” ranking in 2013.
5. The Mercedes-Benz 600 model was popular among celebrities. Elvis Presley, John Lennon, Hugh Hefner, Jack Nicholson, Coco Chanel, Aristotle Onassis, Fidel Castro, and Elizabeth Taylor amongst its owners.
6. The Mercedes star symbolizes air, land, and sea. You can find the star on all Mercedes cars, proudly displayed on the bonnet.
7. The Mercedes motto is: “Das Beste oder Nichts” which literally means – “the best or nothing”.
8. A billionaire from Abu Dhabi placed an order for a custom made Mercedes-Benz with a gold decorated exterior. White gold worth over £2 million was used to complete the whole body work.
9. Mercedes-Benz’s are welded in 10,000 separate places.
10. There is a sculpture of a Mercedes-Benz 240 Diesel at Kinden Park Cemetery in the US. The monument was made in memory of a Mercedes enthusiast who died young. The brother of the deceased left no stone unturned to ensure the monument resembles the actual vehicle and its every detail. In 1970, it cost over £400,000 to complete.
For affordable, convenient and top quality car servicing from industry professionals choose Servicing Stop – All offers include FREE car collection and delivery plus a 12-month parts and labour guarantee!