Mercedes-Benz offer a winter driving course
The Mercedes-Benz driving academies are offering a winter course here in the UK.
It’s a move which has been praised by local safety authorities. Winter driving is extremely dangerous which causes numerous amounts of crashes and incident.
Simon Moore, who is an Assistant Chief Fire Officer echoed these claims and let everyone know why it is such a good idea.
He said “Winter conditions can vastly increase the likelihood and severity of accidents on our roads. We fully support any initiative that helps drivers of all abilities develop skills to safely deal with hazardous conditions. In a proactive attempt to help decrease road traffic accidents during the colder months, Mercedes-Benz Driving Academy provides such an initiative in the form of their black ice facility which enables drivers to equip themselves with key skills while under the supervision of experts.”
Official advice from the Mercedes-Benz academy
- Beware of hazards – Black ice, inconsistent grip, snow concealing road markings, increased stopping distance and pedestrians slipping over are just some of the extra hazards you face when driving in cold conditions
- Keep in control – Get a feel for the road conditions, anticipate slippery areas and break well in advance because stopping distance is 10 x longer than in normal conditions
- Check your tyres – Ensure your tyres have at least 3mm tread and consider switching to specialist Cold Weather tyres which are engineered to deliver superior traction and improved stopping distance in rain, ice and snow
- Plan your journey – Consider your route, major roads are more likely to have been gritted so avoid shortcuts in the cold weather
- Be prepared – Make sure your car is stocked with essential equipment in case of difficulty, such as a spade, blankets, tow ropes, food and drink and a mobile phone charger
The Mercedes-Benz winter driving course sounds like a great idea to us. Any measures that are taken to bring about safer roads during the most dangerous period of the year is good news to all motorists.
The course runs from the 14th of November costing just £99. As Christmas is just around the corner, gift vouchers are available too. More information is available by calling 0845 123 0055.